Monday, March 15, 2010

The Next Two Weeks

A lot has happened since the last time I wrote on this.
The first week was pretty relaxed. They didn't have much planned for us. We had a placment test Wednesday, which took about 30 minutes. On Thursday we had our first class, but that was only for and hour, and then we took a short tour of the city. Friday we had a short time to speak with the teacher of the class, in German, so that they could decide if we were in the correct class. The rest of the time was pretty free. There was a welcoming party after that, with some pretty good food. The rest of the weekend, Shaun and I watched NCIS (auf Deutsch (meaning ''in German'')) and movies from America. Pretty lame way to spend the weekend, but neither of us felt like going out.
On Monday of last week the real class started. Shaun and I are in the same class, which is good. The class goes from 8 until 1:15, with 45 minutes of break in there. The class is good. I have covered all of the material so far that we have talked about, and I think all of the material we will talk about. If I had studied for the two months I was at home, I probably could have been in a more challenging class. Oh well. The classes have lots of different countries represented. There are 4 form America, 3 from Australia, 2 from Panama, Poland, Spain, and one from Iceland, Canada, Mexico, Turkey and probably some others I forgot.
I think I should explain now why I haven't been online for anything very much. The problem starts with the fact that the power here is 220 V, instead of 120. Also, there plugs are just two circular prongs. (Pictures will be coming once I can use my computer.) I knew that I needed to convert the power, and thus had a power converter. However, this converter has a maximum output of 50 Watts. Well, when I plugged in my computer, which takes 90 Watts, I blew a fuse. I found another fuse to replace it, but I can't plug in my computer because it will detroy the converter again. In order to solve this problem, I am going to plug my computer directly into the wall, which is ok because the plug for my computer can handle 240 V. However, the plugs don't match up so I ordered an adaptor off Amazon. There were two problems with this. One, it takes a really long time to get here. I orderd it a week and a half ago, and it still isn't suppose to arrive until Thursday. The other problem is that the shipping is rediculous. I paid less than 3 dollars for the adaptor, and the shipping, which i neglected to look at before I paid for it, was almot 39 dollars. Oops.
Moral of the story, hopefully I will be on Facebook and Skype more in a week.
Future plans: skiing in Austria on Saturday, and next Saturday going to Karlsruhe.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update - I had been wondering how you were. Sounds like you're settling in pretty well - I hope that adapter works well, and we can Skype sometime! Have fun in Austria - and Karlsruhe look beautiful! Hopefully you are taking pictures? :-D

    I'm still thinking of and praying for you - let me know if there's anything more specifically we can be praying about - the best way would be through FB message.

    Auf Wiedersehen bis zum nächsten Mal (which hopefully doesn't turn out to be an insult or something...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh goodness Jeff. I'm just loving your stories you have been posting. They make me laugh and giggle at the same time, LOL.

    Sounds like you are having a blast over there. Keep up the funniness. I'm not even sure if thats a word.

    Well lots of love. Take care.

    ReplyDelete